Here are some pointers to keep in mind if you are weighing your options:
- Bang for your buck. Kitchen renovations give homeowners the biggest return on investment far beyond any other room in the home
- Determine your wants vs needs. Communicating them to the contractor will help with determining a realistic budget and will help keep you on track.
- Stay or go. Depending on the scale and type of renovation you need to determine whether to stay or go during the renovation. Factor in the cost of short term rental, moving fee or storage fees.
- Drawings & Design. Major projects may require the services of an Architect or Engineer. Drawings can be used to obtain building permits or other municipal approvals. Most importantly they provide a basis for the contractor to provide a realistic and accurate estimate for your project.
- Expectations. Be realistic about the time a project will take from start to end. Include 10-15% contingency for changes and unexpected conditions